Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Last of the Monarchs

Dear Friends,

We are finally getting some beautiful autumn weather, and today was one of those spectacular fall days! Not too hot, and not too cold. And no rain! By mid-afternoon, the sun was shining so brightly I needed my sunglasses.

After I left the historical society for the day, I crossed the street to a lovely garden maintained by a certain lady who shall remain unnamed. For many years now, she has cultivated a "publicly private" garden in the center of the city. Located next to a humdrum parking lot, it brings joy to those who visit from March through November.

I have long dreamed of having a garden that begins its cycle with snowdrops and continues until snowfall, but a lack of yard space, time and other factors have prevented me from doing so. But, anytime I want, I can drop by Mrs. X's garden and see what's blooming.

Today, a squirrel chattered at me crossly as I walked down the sidewalk to view the huge dahlias. I tried to capture him on film and had no luck!



Who did I find, however? The last of the monarch butterflies, no doubt, before he heads to Mexico! This fella (or gal) was incredibly busy, as was...you guessed it! A bee!


This bee was one of several buzzing about, including the fat "bumble" variety, my personal favorite!


On to another dahlia...


...and back again...till he rose into the air and disappeared. Heading south, no doubt.


I'm not sure what kind of flower this is. I've never seen it anywhere else. If you know, please leave me a comment or drop me an e-mail, OK?


Could this be the last rose of summer?


And is this the last of the red hot chili peppers?

Such a beautiful day!

I wish you a beautiful day, too!

6 comments:

  1. Sandra! These photos are gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mystery flower is a Nasturtium. I've grown tons, and have about six seedlings going at the moment (with intentions to plant LOTS more! I love them- they are edible and smell divine!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn, Thank you so much! And thanks for visiting, too.

    Chel, I have heard they're edible but I never knew what they looked like "in person." Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow Sandra!
    These are gorgeous shots,
    lovely bits of beauty
    so dear to my heart!
    I'm saying goodbye to alot of our flowers
    too
    and loving the last of the monarchs.
    Happy Autumn days to you,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing Happy Autumn days to you, too, Jennifer!
    Thank you so much--I'm glad you like my photos.

    ReplyDelete