Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Everybody's Doing It

Making New Year's Resolutions, that is!

Dear Friends, First, let me wish you a very Happy New Year! I hope 2012 brings dreams come true, hopes realized and wishes granted!

That famous philosopher, Anonymous, once said, "A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other."  I know I have made many resolutions in the past, and let those very resolutions slip away quietly into the night.

But I went ahead and made some this year anyway. I have not taken a single walk yet (my excuse is it's too cold and dreary) so I suppose I'm breaking them already. The thought is what counts, however, and I am sharing my journal pages for January 1, 2012 with you.

Edited. Ahem.




1. Be more self-reliant. Care less about what people are doing and saying about their lives on Facebook. A friend recently reminded me, "Facebook is not reality."   I need to use my time to create art and enrich my own life instead of watching what others are doing.

2. Cultivate a sense of community. I've never been a "joiner," but maybe it's time to look around and see who else is out there. I also have wanted to start a mixed-media art group in my area, but I've been dragging my feet about it. It's been hard to find a good meeting place that will allow for a possible mess, have running water nearby and not charge a large rental fee.
3. Walk, or at least get out of the house everyday. *see above

4. Count your blessings.

5. Control your temper. 'Nuff said.

6. Strive to accept people for who they are. This could be a tough one. I need to remember that people are not here to live up to my expectations. After all, I have always craved acceptance and love--doesn't everyone?

7. Make one piece of art per week for your Etsy shop, or shops. I have joined a special group on Etsy just for that purpose and goal.


8. Write good blog posts. Use your blog to practice writing skills.

9.  Find a job you like. This may be easier said than done. I have been trying for a long time to find a job (even one I may NOT like). We all know that while the economy may be improving, it's still slow going.

10. Take more classes and practice your graphic design skills.

11. Clean up the house. Recycle on a regular basis. OK, I know I joked about hating housework back in July. It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it. 

12. Cook every now and then. Soup, maybe? We'll see about this one...I'm rather out of practice and can't remember how to slice an onion. Luckily, they make these great frozen packets of vegetables, with onions already sliced up inside!


Here is the spread in its entirety. I created it using Twinkling H2Os, Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist, chalk ink sponged through a plastic doily, washi tape, Ranger's Ice Stickles, angels from Jolee's, and some cardboard doily cut-outs I found on sale at Joann's. 

Well, here's to 2012, and to new beginnings!

What are your resolutions for the New Year?

Stay well, and stay warm,


 

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! I didn't make any resolutions, but I do like yours, so I may steal a few! lol Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My resolution always seems to be the same—exercise more/eat less. Unfortunately I usually end the year eating more & exercising less! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chris, Go ahead and steal away! They're free!
    Happy New Year to you too!

    @Cheri, Ah, yes, I think we all do that one. I really gotta get off my a$$ though! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete