Monday, June 20, 2011

The natural world

Hello, and welcome!

Our orange and red daylilies have bloomed in front of our house.  We planted them about three years ago, and they have been strong and hardy plants. This year, a well-meaning neighbor accidentally weed-whacked some of them to about three inches off the ground. Those in particular did not grow much taller, but we are hoping that next year, they'll be back in full force. I'm very glad to see that the non-weed-whacked lilies are bright, shining and happy!

From tiny acorns...grow little oak saplings in our yard.

Our next-door neighbor has a great old oak tree in his backyard, and Steve recently found an oak sapling growing near our hedge. When he pulled it out of the ground, we saw the acorn from which it grew. The roots were growing from one end, and the sapling from the other. Neither of us had ever seen this before! I am sure there's an Eastern gray squirrel responsible for this...

And shown getting ready for a nap is our Norway brown rat, Willow, in the hammock Steve made for him.

Willow's been taking it easy a lot more lately, as he is pretty old. At the end of July, we will have had him as a member of our family for two years! As most rats only live about two years, we feel quite privileged to have him here with us.

Drop me a line and let me know if you'll be in hanging out in your hammock this week. Anyone have a vacation planned? Or even a staycation? I would love to hear about it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm here from the blogging course. What a cute little guy in his hammock!

    I love your header, it's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lindley--Thank you very much for visiting! (And Willow thanks you, too!)
    My blog banner was done by Gail Schmidt of Shabby Cottage Studio (see Delicious Crafty Goodies at right). Gail is really sweet and a terrific artist. I will certainly let her know you complimented the header.
    How are you enjoying the course so far? I am feeling really challenged, I must say! Lots to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that you posted on Facebook about feeling like you're behind. I think we all feel that way a little bit! I'm always a few days behind, and I know Liv says that's okay, but I'm worried about missing the conversation around each post. I'm just trying not to stress too much about it.

    ReplyDelete